Manufacturing is Alive & Well
The device you’re reading this on was made in a factory. Probably several factories.
The housing, screen, processors and other components were all made in different plants and assembled into your computer, tablet, or smartphone.
And even though your device may not be made in the United States, manufacturing is still a large and important part of the American economy.
Let’s take a look at some facts about U.S. manufacturing and see what the numbers have to say.
- Manufacturing is the 6th largest employer in the United States – 12.3 million jobs total
- Average wages: $26.17/hourly | $64,305.00/yearly
- Top 3 states with most manufacturing jobs: California, Texas, Ohio
- Top 3 states with largest manufacturing concentration: Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan
- Sectors with most manufacturing jobs: Transportation, Food, Fabricated Metal
- 59.2% of all exports are manufacturing goods
- Manufacturing is almost 11.8% of U.S. GDP
Source: Infographic & Original Article